Monday, January 08, 2007

Flashback!

This weekend I had the incredible opportunity of being swept back to my childhood. No, I didn't play Candy Land or find my old collection of pogs. It's far more exciting than that. I was taken back to my younger days thanks to the incredible sound-stylings of the DJ at Comedy Sportz in Provo. Shameless Plug Again: yes, I already plugged this establishment in my blog about the car accident but I'll do it again. . . this time specifically about 3 of the players who filled my Saturday night with hilarity - Matt, Jeff and Scott. So funny! There are never any girls. . . because girls aren't funny enough (or maybe stupid enough) to do the show on a regular basis. In fact, $20 says they only call them in desperation - like if one of the guys all of a sudden has his appendix explode or something?

Anyway, the DJ at the show usually plays some good tunes but Saturday was incredible. Right in the middle of a musical chairs game, a familiar tune blared out of the sound system - 'Life is like a hurricane, here in Duck-berg. . ' That's right. It was the Ducktales theme song in all it's glory! I got so excited (as did the rest of the audience) that I didn't know what to do with myself other than set a mental note to go home and download. (I did it so if you need to hear it, please, feel free to stop by).


So, that got us talking on the ride home about the great television shows/theme songs from our younger days and I got so excited that I thought I would spread the cheer via blog. Here are some of the great ones that we came up with (some better known for the show rather than the song but, it's a good list none-the-less) - they should spark some memories and please, keep them coming.


1. Full House - you can't fight it. You watched it AND at least once said 'You got it, dude.' Just to refresh your theme song memory. . . 'What ever happened to predictability? The milk man, the paperboy. . .' You got it?

2. Charles in Charge - Scott Baio? For sure. I don't even need to reprise that theme song - start with the title!

3. Family Matters - Urkel and 'Did I do that?' made a profound impact on my Friday nights when I was young. Not to mention that Eddie had steps cut into his flat-top. That was hot. 'As days go by. . .' and they did. Didn't Urkel become a hot guy at one point? I think so. . . named Stefan?

4. Mr. Belvedere - 'Streaks on the china, never mattered before. . . who cares?' That was a weird show. I heard once that Marilyn Manson was the oldest kid in that show? He wasn't. . . but I still maintain that cheesy TV like that COULD, in fact, do that to a person.

5. Growing Pains - ahhh, the Seaver family. They were so perfect. Who know that one day a religious zealot and an annorexic would come out of that party? 'As long as we've got each other. We've got the world spinning right in our hands. . .'

6. Golden Girls - 'Thank you for being a friend. . .' and thank YOU for all of those over-sized silk shirts ladies! They have provided hours of mocking for a certain person at the office! Is it bad to call someone Blanche behind their back?

7. Perfect Strangers - let's be honest, nobody knows the theme song but everyone DOES remember Cousin Balkey. . . that rascal.

8. Who's the Boss - "There's a path you take and a path not taken. . . the choice is up to you my friend." While the theme song IS inspiring, it's hard to remember the tune. But, nobody forgets that large blue van in the intro or Tony sliding head first into home plate during the theme song. Did you ever wonder what you would do if you really had a Grandma like Mona? Really, a slutty 65-year-old. One comment: sick.

9. The Wonder Years - 'What would you do if I sang out of tune. . " isn't that what you are doing? I wasn't a huge fan of the 60s sounding, Baptist choir including theme song, but it's a classic.
10. Blossom - 19 costume changes by the end of the three-bar lyrics was pretty impressive. The song is actually called 'My Opinionation' which makes me say 'Whoa!' Yes, I participated in the hat frenzy sparked by Blossom and her sidekick Six. What kind of a name is that anyway?


Ok, so there is a good start. Most people remember the shows on the above list and can probably sing at least part of the theme song which DOES excite me. Many of the other shows that I recall came from my cable-watching days as a child. Basically, Nickelodeon was my best friend growing up. A few of the good ones that are noteworthy from there are
Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, You Can't do That on Television, Clarissa Explains it All and of course the game show category: Double Dare, GUTS and Wild and Crazy Kids.

Hope your trip down memory lane is as good as mine was. . . don't forget to hit me with your favorites!

No comments: