Monday, December 04, 2006

Things I've Learned

It's been a while since my last post but for sure, a productive week! A lot has happened in the World O' Carlee since the last time I blogged - work continued to suck last week amidst the frigid weather and snow flurries (which I developed my yearly hate for. . . AGAIN), I battled the crowds at the annual Hamblin Family Park City Shopping Extravaganza (title not official but I'm looking into copywriting it. . it flows) and I finally got my house cleaned (only under pressure of having visitors, mind you) for the first time in weeks! Oh, and I got some new CD's in the mail over the weekend - Keith Urban. . . Yummy! Another shameless plug. . . what are we to do?
Despite the fact that these may not seem to add up to a 'productive week' on your scale, some pretty random stuff happened that I feel can only be shared in what I am calling "Lessons Learned'. Give me some feedback on whether or not you like this format because I may have to make it a weekly installment!

Lessons Learned
1. Don't knock on a specific profession around people who's profession is unknown to you. If you think I 'get' to sit in a cubicle all day and 'play' on my computer, you are wrong. Don't knock on people who 'have' to sit in a cubicle all day and 'work' on their computer all day. And if you do decide to rag on my job, do it when I'm not in the room.
2. Don't pull a person's hair if you aren't 100% positive that they are the person you thought they were from the back. And if you do make the huge mistake of pulling an unknown person's hair, don't try to make it up by hugging them! Awkward. (BTW, just to clear this up, I was the pull-ee not the pull-er).
3. Don't judge people's social consciousness by their shopping habits. Just because I like to shop doesn't mean that I don't care about poor people. Who do you think gets all of my old clothes?
4. Don't make partial payments (you know, 1/2 mid-month and then the other 1/2 at the end of the month) on your mortgage unless you know that your lender accepts them as such. Otherwise, you get nasty notices in the mail that have words like 'delinquent' and 'help' and 'failure' and 'credit mark' in them for no reason. . . and you may have to make an extra house payment. Enough said.
5. Don't try to understand men. They are confusing. They say that they only really think about three things - food, sports and hmmmm, so they should be simple. But, I've figured out that since all things somehow have to relate to one of those three things, that's what makes them difficult. Get yours minds out of the gutter dudes. There is more to life than food, sports and. . . ok. . . boobs (using that as a total place holder).
6. Don't be 'That' girl. You know those girls that get anything that they want, regardless of past, present or future circumstances? They are the same girl that takes whatever they want with total disregard to other people's feelings. The world revolves around them and they know it. In fact, you can't help but be subject to their charm. Annoyingly perfect - which makes the rest of us 'non-perfect' folks squirm with jealousy or anger or whatever that fire in your gut is actually called. 'That' girl can also be found using 'that's just how I am' as an excuse for everything (several of the most common situations when this is heard include flirting with another girl's love interest - ok, flirting with anything that moves, being late for everything
or having a blatant disregard for people around them, usually leaving your internal monologue to shout 'Hello! I am here too!'.)
7. Finally, do live by the crucial life lessons brought up every week in 'The Office'. This week, I learned that prison is more fun and probably more productive than work.

There it is. . . my week in a list of lessons. If I ever do decide to write a book, I really think the chapters will take this format. Any insight? (Only respond if you think it's good. Otherwise. . . I don't care. Another lesson learned. . . )

2 comments:

Kresta and Carrie said...

THAT is a great lists of "don'ts". Also THANK YOU! I never realized that 'The Office' has replaced "All I ever needed to know I learned in Kindergarten". Truer words have never been spoken: Prison WOULD be better than my life.

Matthew said...

Can you name some other things to the list of "there's more to life than food, sports, and boobs?"

I thought about that for about 36 minutes and still haven't come up with something other than those 3 things.