Monday, November 06, 2006

Dressing Down

I was at the gym tonight about to battle 'The Beast' (that's the endearing term for the most gosh awful stair climber on the face of the earth) and decided to do a quick run-through of the stash of trashy magazines before I climbed my way to misery. As I was reading through the regulars (US Weekly, People, etc.), I had a premonition. . . the stars in these magazines look like crap!
Not that I have a lot to compare to. . . afterall, I am the one who needs to spend about six years on a stair climber before I am even in the same hemisphere of shape as these women. But seriously, how is it that these magazine photographers manage to catch stars when they look their absolute worst? We aren't just talking 'I left my house without mascara' bad either. We are talking 'I decided not to bathe or brush my hair or change clothes between movies' bad and for some stars, that's a ridiculously long time!
Then, it came to me. There is an old saying : Any publicity is good publicity. So, how do struggling stars make the first 10 pages of any magazine? There is only one surefire way. They go out in public dressed like a homeless person! I'm not just talking 'dressing down' either. I'm talking really, really sick it up.
Because it amused me, I'm going to share a few favorites with you straight from one of the classiest magazines I know (no, not the National Inquirer). Forbes Magazine did an actual slideshow on 'Overexposed Celebrities' which, oddly enough, happen to be some of the worst dressed people that I have ever seen (point about publicity proven, huh?):
http://www.forbes.com/2006/10/04/tech-media_cx_lr_100406_celeb_slide.html?thisSpeed=12000

My favorite from the show:
Pamela's mangled face! It's awsomely sick. Somebody get that woman a chisel.


Moral of the story: If you are ever in Beverly Hills, oversized furry boots with cutoffs, a t-shirt and a beanie are not just for Arkansas anymore. Sport 'em on Rodeo and I'll see you in US Magazine.

No comments: