Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Isn't that personal?

I have been waiting for blogger NOT to be broken so that I could tell the funnist, yet weirdest story from yesterday.

Steph
and I (in our new cube arrangement) sit around a corner from each other. It's sad that we no longer share a wall but luckily, we are still privy to some of the same experiences. . . like the one that happened yesterday. In an area between the two of us sits 'The Temp', as she is lovingly referred to. Steph has blogged about this special girl before and her hallway habits (she doesn't get a cube, she sits at a table in the hall) which include but are not limited to evesdropping, leaving her chair pushed out in the middle of the hall so it's a nucense to us all, talking to herself and finally, and most important to this story, talking about her personal life REALLY, REALLY loudly on the phone.

I guess nobody told her that it's Datamark culture to take your personal calls in the shop? It's really not a more 'secure' area per se as anyone could walk by and hear you talking to your potential new boss, but it is more private as nobody works out there full time. Well, because of this training oversight on our part, we've been able to hear the temp talk about her sick mother on a daily basis (we took a vote and we DO feel bad, so we aren't heartless. . . it's just hard to listen to!), her car issues and the conversation to end all conversations. . . her love life.
Yesterday, the usual ruckus was happening and I heard her on the phone. I wasn't really paying attention until the conversation started getting ugly. As soon as my curiousity was peaked, the Instant Messenger fired up:

Stephanie: Are you hearing this?
Carlee: Yeah. . . holy crap!
Stephanie: Is she breaking up with her boyfriend in the middle of the hallway?
Carlee: Yeah. . . holy crap!
Sidenote: Yes, I am aware that Stephanie is much more eloquent in expressing her interest than I am but I couldn't say anything else!

It was happening folks. The temp was having a lover's quarrel on her phone in the middle of the hall! This day was about to get good. . . Just as an FYI, this conversation took place at the early hour of 9:30 am and lasted for at least 25 minutes. Some of the best 'break-up fight' lines were used so there was no disappointment in this one. The gloves reall came off and I have to give props for the most cliche arguement that I maybe have ever heard.

In honor of The Oscars last Sunday, I'd like to present the nominees for 'Best Cliche Line in a Hallway Fight'. And the nominees are:

          • 'You are so childish. . . '
          • 'Why? Because I said so! That's why!'
          • 'You WILL listen to what I have to say whether you like it or not and you know what, you won't like it!'
          • 'You know why you think that? Because you are selfish and you always have been.'
          • 'You're only doing this because it's your defense mechanism. . .'

and finally. . .
          • 'I am not even going to discuss this with you!'

The vote are in and the winner of the 'Best Cliche Line in a Hallway Fight' goes to. . . .
'You know why you think that? Because you are selfish and you always have been.' And the crowd roars. . . .

Anytime you say the word 'selfish' in a fight, while you are talking loudly in the middle of the hall, while people are trying to work, you automatically are issued 15 ironic points which catapults you into the lead.

Any other favorites from this conversation? If your favorite cliche fight line isn't here, hit me with it. I'm so amused. . .

6 comments:

NatAttack said...

OHmygosh. I wish I knew this girl.

What a funny/GREAT moment in the Northern Suite.

stephanielynn said...

It was one of the craziest conversations I've ever eavesdropped on (and I've eavesdropped on a lot!).

Ben said...

My favorite line was "I can't believe I almost married a truckdriver!". Oh wait, that was somebody else.

Carlee said...

such whit. . .that's why I love you guys!

stephanielynn said...

This just in...not her boyfriend, her husband. They are separated.

Carlee said...

Well that puts an entirely new spin on this!