Friday, March 13, 2009

The Pitfalls of Returning. . .

So I got back from vacation almost a week ago and man, what an adjustment. I didn't really realize until I'd been working several days that I literally spent my vacation in a vegetative state. . . literally. I read, I slept, I wrote a really long and arduously read blog late one night (sorry about that) and I played with my niece. That sums up the entire week.

Now that I've been a week back in my real life, I've thought of all of the pitfalls of coming home from a vacation like the one I took last week. They are as follows:

  • Work. I know, you are shocked that this is first on my list. But work in Mexico consisted of walking up two flights of stairs on my way back from the pool or figuring out that daunting Sudoku puzzle that just didn't seem to come out right. That was all the work that I did for an entire week. Now, there is typing and emails and spreadsheets and oh, I'm exhausted even talking about it. I think I need to lay down.

  • Speaking of. . . naps. I basically slept everywhere on vacation: in the chair by the pool, in my bed, on the boat, at the dinner table. . . really, wherever I was tired. Now, I can't seem to fall asleep anywhere - even in my own 'I can't get enough of how soft this is' bed in my own 'it is so nice to have carpet on the floor' house. I tried sneaking into the mother's lounge at work to nap for a minute during lunch. You need a key. I want to sleep bad enough that I'm thinking about a minor criminal offense (stealing said key) just to sleep. Sad? Yeah, I thought so too!

  • Did you know that it's easier to work out on the elliptical if it is overlooking a golf course and a lake through a large picture window? Well, it is. Now when I run I just look at the female body builder right in front of me that has a really awkward posture when she runs. It's not the same. There is a lake. . . of sweat.

  • I keep waiting for a bar maid to pass my cubicle and ask me what I'll have to drink. It hasn't happened. And when I asked the secretary to get me a pina colada, she said some things that were NOT very nice. Come on people. Where is the service? I was at the pool for an hour and was asked at least three times what I wanted. I've been at work for 5 days and no such thing has happened. What a crock.

  • It's not acceptable to go anywhere in your swimming suit. In Mexico, that was completely appropriate attire for any occasion. Apparently it's not part of the "dress code" in the office. Whatever that means.

  • Every day in Mexico, I had some form of hot breakfast - french toast, eggs, muffins, bacon, you name it. There were all sorts of good ways to start off your day. Every morning since I've been home I've gone to my kitchen and nada. No person saying "What can I make you?" followed quickly by "It's a pleasure." I'm making my own dang breakfast again. Ladies and Gents, I'd like to introduce you to my Quaker friend. He makes oatmeal. Oh wait, I mean I make oatmeal.

I'm not bitter. . . just sad that it's over. So if anyone is heading out any time soon, let me know. I'd love an invitation. . . and a pina colada.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Welcome home, and condolences. At least the weather is nice (for here). It would have been worse to come home to snow, don't cha think?

Leslie said...

Cars, I had a dream about you last night and I think the reason was to tell you that you need to blog more!!! SO, there you go revelation from LESLIE! (Because I love to hear your thoughts and ideas on life and anything.)