Tuesday, March 03, 2009

It's all about Mexico. . . or Olivia.

Hola and Buenos Tardes from beautiful Playa del Carmen. Right now, I am sitting on the balcony of our room and listening to the waves crash against the wall down below. Wanna see? Here you go:




I literally took that two minutes ago so you can see what I'm seeing! Don't you feel like you're right in the action? Ok, maybe my photography isn't THAT good but I tried. Can you see the parasailing going on above the second palm tree from the left? You can't tell but the parachute is a giant yellow smiley face. I guess they think the smiley face is less intrusive to the sharks below? Hahaha. . . just kidding. . . sort of.

Well, so far, the trip has been a-to the-mazing. I've done exactly what I wanted to do which is sleep and sun. . . and sleep in the sun. . . and get in the pool. . . and sleep some more. I don't think that I realized how tired I've gotten lately until I got here and have basically slept for three days. Don't worry though, I have had the energy to get dressed and walk down to the pool before I nap so I'm getting a really sweet sunburn while I'm here! Oh, and I'm doing some great reading between naps - A Thousand Splendid Suns. Love it. For those of you that are aware of the New Year's Resolution, this will be book number 5.


The trip has been so relaxing and a perfect time with my family. They are a blast to vaca with. It's Olivia's first time out of the country and the people of Mexico LOVE her. She's a little flirt and I'd expect nothing less. I got the surprise of my life on day one when I opened our hotel door and she came walkin in like she owned the place. . . that's right, my baby girl has joined the ranks of the walkers! I'm so proud.


Needless to say, we've had a blast having her here. Here are some pics of her adventure so far:

She has pretty much spent most of her time on the cold floor. I don't blame her. . . it's hot here!
I got a flower from the front desk on our arrival. . . she made quick work of that.


This is exactly why I love her. . . this face. . . she's the happiest girl EVER!


Olivia quickly discovered that she is a pool efficianado! She is basically a Phelps in training.

And yes, she attracts some great audiences. . . great, great audiences. :)


Anyway, I figure there are enough pics of the baby to keep the fam happy for a while. I haven't taken too many pics of anything but the view from our room so I'll drop another one in here of what it looks like at sunset:

We've been out shopping and really, literally at the pool 90% of our vacation thus far which means all of my expectations have been met. Nothing too crazy (which is odd for me as anyone who knows me can attest that I am the queen of weird things happening) but that's to be expected when you're sleeping all day. I am having some funny dreams though. . . :) Oh, one weird thing did happen:
I got kissed on the cheek by a drunk, too-old-for-my-mom, Mexican salesman last night so that was an adventure. He was trying to sell my dad some Cuban cigars and trying to sell my mom on the fact that he was going to be the newest member of our family. Note to the audience at large: if you plan on calling my mom "mother-in-law", there are a couple of things you should know: First, you may want to check with me first because there is only one way left into this family and I kind of need to have a say. We're not in the business of arranged marriages (although sometimes I think that might not be a bad idea. Can you see me selling hair braiding and booze in Mexico for a living?) so please include me first. Sidenote: this doesn't mean that I'm picky or really that I'd even refuse the offer under most circumstances, it's just a sign of courtesy for heaven's sake! Let a girl feel like she's important. Second, make sure that you don't have hard tequila/cigar breath when you call my mom "mother-in-law" for the first time. Third, don't hit on me while simulateously trying to sell me a "Foach" purse. That's just a major disadvantage to you because I WILL be distracted by the purse and it will probably win every time. And by "probabaly" win, I mean it WILL win. Final take-home tally? Purse: one. Men: zero. Wah, waaaahhh!
With that, I must bid you adios! More adventures to come. . . I hope. I'll try and do something besides lay by the pool before the next update!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sounds like so much fun...except the drunk purse-selling man trying to hit on you. That was funny.
So glad you're having a good time. The pics are beautiful. I'm jealous. Have fun!!