Friday, November 30, 2007

'Tis the Season. . . to be a HYPOCRITE!

Hey everyone and welcome to the holiday season. . . one to surely be filled with glad tidings of great joy! I love the holiday season and everything that it stands for - the lights, the trees, the sweets, the people and even the music! FM 100 has been playing Christmas music for one month already - can you believe that? Anyway, hearing the Christmas tunes made me think of my year-over-year Christmas rant that gets me into trouble at least once during the holiday season. So what do I decide to do but publish it so I can take the tongue lashings in public! Really, it's so everyone knows how I feel about this gem of a topic. . . so here it goes:
You know what bugs me? Hypocrites. I would rather deal with my cube neighbor not showering (that isn't true, by the way. . . I'm just saying I'd rather, so you get the point) than dealing with a hypocrite. I HATE the saying "Do as I say, not as I do." which I heard all of the time growing up. I'm for sure more of a "Practice what you preach." type of girl because I like to think that's how I am. . . I try to be anyway.

It's sad that the one time of year that hypocrisy drives me up the wall is Christmas because really, I'd just like to enjoy my holiday in peace; and maybe I can start doing that once this is out in the open and recorded as a 'things I hate'. This blatant type of hypocrisy involves nothing other than good old Christmas music itself. Here comes the thesis of this rant: I do not agree with non-Christians making a pretty penny on a Christmas album. They don't believe what they are singing. They don't even believe in Christmas. Don't become a sell-out by doing a version of Silent Night and selling it to the masses. It's lame, it's hypocritical and it sucks. There was no 'holy night' that you are aware of. There was no 'holy infant' for you to ponder on. Don't sing about it. Don't record it. I don't even think you should be singing about Santa Claus because the whole premise of Christmas coming to pass is based on Jesus Christ and his holy birth. I don't sing about Kwanzaa! Why? No it's not because a) I don't sing OR b) I don't even know what Kwanzaa is. . . so you put those thoughts to bed right now! I don't sing about it because I don't believe in it. It's the same reason I don't write/sing sings about Hanukkah, soggy bread, sex before marriage, cinnamon or Miracle Whip - I just don't believe in them.

The two biggest violators of this little rule of mine could be considered two of the most talented musical artists of all time - to that, I don't scoff. I do, however, scoff at the fact that you ditched your religious beliefs in order to make a buck. Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand, come on down. You're the next contestants on Carlee's List-o-Hypocrites! (I purposely did not link to their cds because I'm anti buying them).

Both of these artist have publicly proclaimed their undying faith in Judaism and for that, they have my respect. I love when people believe in something - even if it's not a belief that I share, I respect those that are willing to publicly make a statement about their faith and really, live it to it's fullest. I do not respect the fact that because popular culture allows for the holiday season to be rich is cash flow if you are willing to make a Christmas cd (and I know that EVERYONE has one - the muppets might even have one, who knows), you sold out. Both Neil and Babs sing Silent Night on their cds (although Babs tried to be sly and name it Sleep in Heavenly Peace). Did I miss something? Do I not really know what that song is about? I thought it was about the story in the bible - you know, the one with a baby and shepherds and a manger and a star. . . all of that stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Babs also favors us with O Little Town of Bethlehem and then heavily favors us with songs about Santa and snow. Neil, however, didn't stop at Silent Night. He was kind of enough to favor the masses with God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Little Drummer Boy, Hark the Herald Angels Sing and last, but certainly not least, O Holy Night. For me, that last one is a kicker because, personally, it represents all that is Christian about this holiday. . . but let's be real, Silent Night did me in.

My point is not that these people are wrong because they aren't Christians. It has nothing to do with that and if that's what you are getting from this, you didn't read it. My point is that regardless of your beliefs, you should never abandon them for cash - ever. Even if you stand to make a lot of money. . . like say if you were going to release a Christmas album. If you do sell-out, that's what you are - a sell-out. . . and you will then be on my list.

2 comments:

Danny K. said...

You do know that Garth Brooks doesn't really have "friends in low places", right? I'm just sayin . . .

Carlee said...

You think. . . hahaha.