Thursday, January 15, 2009

Snack on This. . .

Hello again! yeah, yeah, it's been a while. I know. Apologies to the two people that read my blog. . .hi mom.

So for the last six weeks (that's right six) I have been getting up early to go to the gym. By early I mean before 6:00 which, for ALL intents and purposes, is "early" and even misses "really early" by only about an hour. I'm pretty proud of my stick-to-it-ivness on this go-round of working out. . . especially in the morning. I think it's almost made me sort of a morning person. . . ish.

What I don't love is the results of this whole thing. I've been eating better (with the exception of my treat frenzy in Seattle last weekend! But it was worth every calorie) and working up a massive sweat everyday and guess what? I look the same. Six weeks - you've got to be kidding me!

So, in honor of my six weeks mark of being healthier and not seeing much difference, I've decided to share with the world (or my two readers) the things I notice about this process. I kind of consider myself an expert since I've been on some form of diet my entire life. Commentary is welcome so bring it on!

"Things" about Getting Healthy

1. I can now efficiently go 30+ minutes on the elliptical trainer without feeling like I will die a certain death when I get off. I might look like I'm going to die with my Hamblin red face syndrome (it almost does look purple some mornings) but I feel fine. So, I can breathe better after intense cardio but WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE SIZE OF MY PANTS? Nothing. So I don't care. And telling me that it shows that I'm getting healthier doesn't help. I want to shrink.

2. Diet food sucks. . . even when it's regular food. I eat chicken all the time, on or off a diet. But when I'm on a diet, it's extra dry and lacks flavor even if I cooked it the same as normal. My mind plays the dirtiest tricks to get me to cheat! On the flip side, chocolate has never smelled or looked so tasty.

3. I get the hiccups when I eat white rice??? What kind of weirdness? And I've been eating it every day with the previously mentioned dry chicken for lunch so I'm hiccupping for a solid 30 minutes per day for a while now. Does hiccupping burn calories? I hope so because by the time I'm done, I feel more exhausted than when I go 30 minutes on the elliptical.

4. What is with the girl at the gym that wants to look like a man? It's scary and frankly, a little weird and gross. And she has a squirly husband that she probably can bench press. She should never run in front of me at the gym because I giggle at her wide, man I have a stick up my bum, stance and I'm afraid one day she'll hit me and it will all be over.

5. I am hungry all the time. All the time. Like I can't stop being hungry whether I eat carrots or a chunk of meat. Always hungry. The awkward part of that is that people probably always see me eating and then they think "Um, she should go to the gym and not eat so much. . ."!!! See! How do I win? I'm trying people! Gosh.

Ok, I have to go to a meeting now so I have to stop this thought process but there you have it. I'm I completely thinking wrong? Have the Dieting Devil grabbed hold and made me bitter? I think I'm just in a slump. . . that better not last another 6 weeks or I swear. . . :)

5 comments:

stephanielynn said...

Just keep at it! I'm going on 8 months with very slow results - but I have to believe that it will all catch up eventually.

e said...

Here's my two cents for what it's worth (which is probably worth exactly two cents):

I noticed you said you eat white rice everyday. That is very very very (did I say very?) likely reason you aren't seeing the results you'd like. When the human body consumes white rice, white bread, or white pasta it is almost instantly converted into the equivalent of table sugar (it even begins turning into the same as sugar while still in your mouth). Plus, white rice (and the other stuff mentioned) digests extremely quickly which is going to equal hungry.

(In my opinion), it isn't really about cutting calories, it's about eating better foods. If you want to eat rice, I'd suggest only eating brown, long grain and not the instant kind (as instant rice, oatmeal, etc. has the fiber removed in order to make it instant and thus digests quickly).

But I do have to say, AWESOME on the exercise and the improvements you see -- SO great. Again, take my advice for what it is worth, which is nearly nothing ... but I'll bet if you changed those little things, your results would be more swift...

P.S. I like it when you write blogs :)

P.P.S. Sorry if this is long and if I'm overstepping my boundaries -- I just thought I'd share ... :/

Leslie said...

SO I recently found this old journal I was keeping in 2001 and it illustrated a scenerio you might remember: We were seated at a double farwell for the Kjar missionaries. All of us where a little teary-eyed and emotion and then, OBVIOUSLY late in walks our little version of "Cramer". And what do we hear from Carlee, "Holy Smokes... He looks like he combed his hair with a rock!! Everyone say a silent prayer that he doesn't see us and has to sit somewhere else. That kid is a walking disaster." (Hearty laughter is like internally jogging!!) Just looking out for you! And internally joggin myself!

~AliSa~ said...

Good for you to be getting up early and going to the gym and doing the diet too. I always get on a kick and go and then just stop going. Hence my current gym pass that has been neglected for at least the past three months!

Carlee said...

My smart friends! All of this is exactly what I needed today- from the nutrition advice to the internal jogging!! Haha. Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement! Oh and Steph, you can TOTALLY see a difference. You look hot.
Emilee - that is BRILLIANT because I hate white rice! The box was expensive but it's going to the garbage. . . my tastebuds, my diet and my cube neighbors at work who hear me hiccup daily thank you SO much!