Thursday, July 02, 2009

I'm an addict. . .

I think that I maybe should have called my blog 'Confessions of an adult addict' because I've made a LOT of disclosures on this blog - probably a lot that you, my 5 person readership (I've added one - glad you found me Stephanie and don't be afraid of what you read, just trust it! haha) don't necessarily "get" but I do try to make them sound as ridiculous as they actually are so at least you get some entertainment out of my habits. Today, friends, is no different. I have a confession. . .

I am addicted to the news. I heart television news, that's no lie. In fact, I have what can be considered an unhealthy relationship with the Today Show (hey Crew buddies, I know you hear me on this) since I watch it every morning while I get ready and have done since my sophomore year in college. So that would mean Matt Lauer and I have pow-wowed every morning for. . . carry the one. . . ok, a LONGER time than his mom probably did his laundry. Anyway, I'm only home for about the first hour of it which would be considered the 'hardcore' part of the Today Show (before the barbecues and wedding planning starts), which means I'm generally listening to reports on the state of the economy, our ongoing dispute with, well, everyone, and women being attacked by pet chimpanzees. You know, really tough news.

But that's not the main problem. In fact, I think it's kind of a good habit to have. That way if the president ever stops by my office, I can give him props for talking about Utah health care and the like.

No, the problem isn't the credible, what-is-happening-in-Iran-type news. I am talking about lending accuracy to any kind of news, even the outrageous stuff. Primarily the kind that is provided by the really, truly credible sites like, say, the front page of Yahoo!

I work in an office and my primary job consists of email and Internet. No, not the snooping kind of Internet or the dirty kind either (I do, in fact, do credible work). BUT, because my work demands that I log-on maybe 50 times a day, you can imagine the importance of my homepage selection and all that it offers me in a quick, 10 sec view. Enter Yahoo!

You know that box that shows up on the top of the page with the teasers about all the latest news stories? Did you know that it refreshes like every hour, sometimes multiple times an hour? You probably didn't because you aren't as crazy about it as I am!


Oh, sweet tabbed window. You not only allow me to view the top stories and pictures at a glance, but you categorize it so nicely. You give me features, entertainment, sports and even LIFE! (Sometimes I click on that last one, secretly hoping that there is a checklist about how to do life better.) What more could a girl ask for? Five headlines on each tab. That is surely enough to keep a girl abreast of the latest happenings without having to read each major news outlet because let's be real - if it's THAT important, it'll be on Yahoo! I love you tabbed window. You complete me. DO YOU SEE MY PROBLEM?

Since when is Yahoo! been in your top five list of credible news sources? Yeah, that's what I thought. CNN, NBC, CBS, LA Times and Yahoo! Of course. I will throw myself a bone and say that often times, the Yahoo! news alerts come from these more credible sources and are just compiled into the love of my life. . . er, I mean the news window, but still. They have writers that are busting out stories all the time as well. Mostly, they appear in the 'Entertainment' portion of the site because some would say that it's the least important to be accurate there but I would beg to differ.

If the news window isn't enough, there is another group of links to national, world and local news below it. Sidenote: Isn't it funny that we put entertainment and life at the top and world news BELOW that? Oh, I didn't think so either - it's not a joking matter. Entertainment news is of utmost importance. The world is as it should be! Haha. Anyway, I can see what's being reported in all news outlets, even down to our our Standard Examiner right there! It's completely convenient and completely overwhelming and I completely love it.

Top stories, bottom stories, video stories, week in pictures. Love advice, car advice, life advice, food advice. Who signed what, who dated what, who attempted what, who said what. It's ALL there, waiting for my perusal.

Is there anyway to make a job out of this because if I'm not careful about my self-control, I may no longer have one. Oh, I wonder if there is an article about self-control on Yahoo!?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, I'm glad you got that off your chest.... two posts in less than a month, I don't know what to think! But I must say: I feel there is something comforting about knowing what is happening in the world, or the nation, or atleast in Hollywood! I don't know that I could sleep at night without first checking-in with the LA gossip page! HA HA ... Cars we badly need to do LUNCH, or dinner or breakfast, you decide! (And Ferg-wad needs to come to.)

Morg said...

Carlee, I must say thank you for paying our bills with your addiction. In fact, I must say: Thank you from all of us at KSL!