Friday, August 29, 2008

Boys II Men. . . Ba, Ba, Boys II Men!

That's right folks. . . in case the title of this blog left anything to the imagination. . . I may have made a rousing trip to Orem last night to meet my childhood, aka Boys II Men (I know that you are just like me and can't read the name of the band without muttering "ABC, BVD" right after. Admit it, you're a fan). Should I be ashamed of this little concert gem? Some might say so. I say a resounding NO WAY! In fact, the very people that made fun of me for going to this very concert, without fail, spent the 5 minutes post-harassment singing at LEAST three Boys II Men songs. Note to self: If you are going to make fun of me for my musical tastes, don't follow it up with quoting and/or singing the songs yourself because you know what that means??? That's what I thought. . . :)
I've added a little pic for you to see that the B2M (I need to abbreviate or my fingers might cramp up) haven't changed much. . . in fact, not at all. . . with one obvious difference: there is one boy/man/boy in the process of becoming a man, that is missing. Sad, eh? I think I heard scoliosis? He can't perform. I thought at first that they should just have him sit on a stool but the Temptations-like moves that I saw last night made me understand the performance debacle. So, 3 it is!

The concert was at the Scera Shell Amphitheater in Orem. That's right, Orem. So you can imagine the long-shorts, clean R&B music kind of fan base that they were able to draw. We were far enough back in the amphitheater that we were nearly on the downward sloping side of the hill that creates said amphitheater. And when I say nearly, I mean we were on the downward sloping side. Sidenote: I think it should be a commandment or something that airlines and concert venues shall not over-book seats. I get really angry that the amphitheater sold too many seats so that at least 100 people could barely even see the stage, if they could at all. Grass behind the side of the stage = not a seat. Grass on the back of a hill = not a seat. Room on a later flight = not a SEAT! Come on people, work with me.

Anyway, the concert was packed and "good times were had by all." B2M not only busted out some of my favorite older stuff but some classic Motown tunes. It was like I was literally back in the days of the hard-core, talented boy bands. They danced with their mics, handed out roses and basically did some sweet electric slide moves across the stage. I couldn't help but scream like a 4th grader at a Hannah Montana concert. . . not that I really know what that sounds like!

Best part of the night (other than the double take of Motownphilly)? My buddy Jordan got invited to the meet-and-greet (which, subsequently was held in someone's backyard? Not surprising seeing as how they got ready in a cheaply fashioned lean-to at the venue) and was able to score me two, not one but two, autographed photos of the band. That's right, they signed my pics. Maybe if you're nice and stop making fun of me for going to the concert, I'll let you see them!

5 comments:

TMac said...

I am so freaking jealous! This takes me back to listening to their tapes with you and then following it up with a little MC Hammer. Back in school we used to dream about this everyday. Could it really happen? Or do dreams just fade away ?

~AliSa~ said...

I am so jealous that you got to go see Boys II Men. That was one of my first concerts was seeing them with Brandy. Ahhh the good ole days!

Mandy and Lorin said...

Hey I didn't know you had a blog! You make me laugh so hard when I read your funny blogs. We miss you lots!

e said...

I am SO jealous! I looooooooooooved them so much when I was in 7th grade. I seriously thought I was going to marry Waylon (do I have the name right?)!

James said...

Carlee,

Just stumbled across your blog from Lindsay's, but just so you know, it was "Boyz 2 Men, ABC, BBD" not BVD. BBD stands for Bel Biv Devoe!